The Laguna Honda Rehabilitation Center
Our rehabilitation team consists of occupational therapists, physical therapists, speech therapists, and an audiologist. We aim to facilitate recovery from loss of function that may be due to a neurologic disorder, traumatic injury, or from surgery. Because we understand a person’s optimal recovery benefits most from an interdisciplinary approach, we work closely together as a team. We also collaborate with physicians, psychologists, nurses and social workers to provide comprehensive care.
Inpatient treatment is provided for Laguna Honda residents. Outpatient treatment is available by appointment with a referral from a doctor.
- Professional, highly skilled and experienced staff with various specialties
- State-of-the-art gym, which includes two heated pools and an outdoor therapy garden
- Staff physiatrists (doctors with a specialty in rehabilitation medicine)
Common Conditions Treated:
Spinal Cord Injury
Traumatic Brain Injury
Chronic conditions of the heart, lungs, joints
Voice disorders and voice modification
Occupational therapists help people with an injury, illness, or disability re-learn how to do everyday activities. This could include getting dressed, cooking, and taking medication. We will collaborate with you and your care providers to develop individualized goals and intervention plans. We may suggest a different way for you to perform an activity, such as using a tool to put on socks or grab bars to get in the shower. Our ultimate goal is to help you be more independent again and resume your valued occupations.
Physical Therapists help residents recover from a prior injury, illness or disability, and prevent further injury. Each individual is carefully evaluated to determine the treatment plan that best meets your needs, with your goals. Treatment programs include promoting your ability to move optimally, reduce pain, and restore function with exercise plans, functional activities, neuromuscular reeducation, and patient and caregiver training.
Speech Language Pathology
Speech Language Pathologists evaluate and treat in the areas of communication, cognition, and swallowing function. Treatment programs, including family/caregiver education, are designed to help patients affected by stroke, brain injury, head and neck cancer, and other neurological disorders. Common Conditions Treated
- Cognitive Impairment: treatment for memory, attention, problem-solving, sequencing, and reasoning
- Aphasia: treatment for understanding and/or expressing language following brain injury
- Dysphagia: treatment to improve the ability to safely drink liquids, chew and swallow solid food
- Apraxia: treatment for speech impairment related to the motor programming of articulation
- Dysarthria: treatment for speech impairment related to the muscles of articulation
- Voice disorders: treatment to improve vocal intensity, vocal quality, and/or vocal range
- Voice and communication modification for the transgender, non-binary, and gender fluid community
With a physician’s referral, the audiologist performs hearing screenings, evaluations, assessments for hearing aids, and resident/caregiver training for the residents of Laguna Honda Hospital.
Outpatient and Aquatics Program
We also provide outpatient occupational, physical, speech, and aquatic therapies.
How to get here
The hospital is located across the street from the Forest Hill Muni station. Bus lines 36, 44, and 52 stop at the bottom of the hospital on Laguna Honda Blvd. There is a LHH shuttle that runs between the hospital and Forest Hill Muni station every 30 minutes. Please enter the new building (glass & steel) and proceed through the main lobby. After signing in at the security desk, please head to the admissions and eligibility office to get signed into your appointment. For aquatic appointments, please bring the following items:
- Swimsuit or shorts and a dark t-shirt
- Sandals or pool shoes
Arrive 15 minutes before your scheduled appointment time to allow time to change and schedule for follow up appointment. The usual number of treatments is 6 sessions to provide you with a personalized and independent exercise program for you to perform in community pools.
Contact us at 415-682-5711